If you're looking for some decoupage craft projects that don't involve making endless boxes try this decoupage shoe project. I used a book of old sheet music but you could use any paper; gift wrap, craft paper, magazines, newspapers, recycled packaging labels or even postage stamps!
To craft these Decoupage Shoes you will need:
|Take one blah pair of shoes...|
- A pair of shoes or boots (leather, patent leather, PVC or plastic are good but avoid porous fabrics like canvas)
- Sandpaper or paint-stripping paper
- Torn strips of paper
- PVA craft glue
- 2 paintbrushes about half an inch wide
- Clear Polyurethane
- Ribbon or bias binding
1. Sand the shoes to remove the shiny surface and make the craft glue stick better.
|I used 3M paint stripping paper|
|Decoupage a small section at a time|
4. Leave to dry overnight.
|Let the decoupage dry overnight before trimming rough edges|
5. Trim the excess paper the next morning and, if necessary, patch up any holes you find. Leave to dry overnight again.
6. The next day wipe the surface with a dry cloth to remove any loose bits and paint the entire surface with one coat of polyurethane. Work slowly and don't stir the polyurethane too much so you don't get bubbles on your finish. Leave to dry in a warm place overnight (check the instructions on the can but most will say 10-12 hours drying time).
|Decoupage craft shoes after three layers of polyurethane|
7. After the first coat is hardened paint a second coat. I painted three coats on my shoes leaving them to dry for 24 hours between coats.
8. Glue a piece of ribbon or braid around the edge of the shoe where the paper ends to make them more comfy to wear. Leave to dry and...voila! totally unique shoes!
|Decoupage Shoe Craft Project|
More Decoupage Craft Ideas